I’ve always been a huge fan of greek food. Coming from a middle eastern family, I love the tastes and smells of seasonings that belong in middle-eastern cuisine. Greek salads, pita bread, falafel and so many other items I’ll find on a menu at a Greek restaurant also suit my palette quite well.
After realizing that Mediterranean restaurants were a place I ordered on far too frequently from GrubHub, I decided to prepare a greek dinner myself – using only ingredients I’d purchased from Trader Joe’s. The best part of the meal? A homemade hummus I made using no tahini (it can be hard to find and expensive!) and mostly natural ingredients.
The hummus is about 1 smartpoint per serving if you’re following Weight Watchers Freestyle program and has very little olive oil.
Olive it a lot! Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients: 1/4 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt, 3 cloves garlic (minced), 1 Tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/8 teaspon pepper, 1(19 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed), 1 Tbs dried chopped parsley
- Drain can of chickpeas and pour into blender or food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients – ending with the seasonings.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes.
- If you prefer a thinner hummus, feel free to add additional yogurt for a different consistency.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Serve with chips, pita or veggies!
Adapted from a recipe from Genius Kitchen.
Hope you enjoy!