I was recently turned onto “Buddha Bowls” by my favorite YouTuber. They’re basically an excuse to re-purpose all the remaining produce in your refrigerator, combine with a grain or protein of your choice and have a meal suitable for Instagram and/or our hipster generation. As Kalyn describes on her blog post, you begin with a bowl – preferably round – and fill it with a base (quinoa, rice, or another grain), top with a protein (tofu, chicken, salmon, etc) and decorate with veggies before dousing with sauce.
Intending to make my meal as Instagram-ready as possible, I chose an array of vegetables that represented every color in the ROY G. BIV family. Intending to make my meal an actually edible dinner for my boyfriend, I tested a Parmesan Baked Salmon Recipe from Kraft.
Below are instructions for creating your own Rainbow Bowl of millennial approved vegetable-goodness, topped with a
Rainbow, I mean, pink fish.
To make the salmon:
Ingredients: 1/4 cup of light mayonnaise, 2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese, 4 skinless salmon fillets, 1/8 tsp red pepper, 2 tsp of lemon juice, and 1/2 cup bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix mayonaise, cheese and peper until blended.
- Place your fish in a shallow foil-lined pan and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Cover fish with mayo mixture; and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake 12 to 15 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.
To turn into a “Buddha Bowl:”
- Fill a small bowl with grain of your choice. (I used an Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice in the Whole Grain Brown variety.)
- Top with vegetables of your choice (asparagus, avocado, purple cabbage, red or orange bell peppers, tomatoes or any other colorful produce item you desire).
- Layer on the salmon.
And of course, the final step is to broadcast it: